
1866 | Our Story Begins
The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary open the Academy of St. Teresa, beginning a tradition of Catholic education that continues today.
1868–1873 | The Ursuline Tradition Takes Root
The Ursuline Sisters assume leadership of the school. In 1873, Ursuline Sisters from Alton, Illinois, arrive to continue and strengthen St. Teresa’s educational mission.
1874 | A Growing School in Decatur
The school moves to the 400 block of East Eldorado Street as its presence in the Decatur community continues to grow.
1913 | A New Home
St. Teresa moves to 2700 N. Water Street and becomes an all-girls boarding school, beginning a new chapter in the school’s history.
1930 | St. Teresa High School Is Born
St. Teresa Academy becomes a co-educational school and takes the name St. Teresa High School. Sister Loretto Boland is appointed the school’s first principal.
1932 | A Tradition of Excellence
St. Teresa begins its history of continuous accreditation, reflecting the school’s longstanding commitment to educational excellence.
1955 | A Growing Campus
Eight new classrooms and a gymnasium are dedicated as St. Teresa expands to serve a growing student body.
1996 | A New Era of Leadership
The St. Teresa High School Corporation purchases the school from the Ursuline Sisters, ensuring the continuation of St. Teresa’s mission of Catholic education in the Decatur community.
Today | Faithful to Our Mission. Focused on Our Future.
More than 160 years after its founding, St. Teresa continues to provide students with an education rooted in faith, academic excellence, service, and community. Generations of Bulldogs have shaped our story—and each new generation carries the mission of St. Teresa forward. Click below to become part of our story!